........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Farewell to big Brooke


Back when I was a little art student, one of my final assignments consisted of building a large panel. The art teacher didn't really specify how large, he just said larger than what we had been painting on all semester. I had been doing these dainty square foot paintings, so I thought, "I'll go REALLY big!" And I had Evan build me a 4'x4' panel.

And then, as if having an enormous panel wasn't enough, I decided it would be a good time to try painting a portrait. I had never done a portrait before. And I had an urge.

So I had my little sister be my model. And I painted away. And the funny thing was, when I showed up for critique, my painting was by far the biggest. By far. It was awkward. Nobody had taken the 'large' part of the assignment seriously.

Let's just say I have decided portraits aren't my "thing".


Actually, if you cropped it down to just the eyes, it wasn't so bad

But it didn't look like my sister Brooke, at all. AT ALL! She is a babe, and this painting sort of made her look....I dunno. Not like a babe.

And so I did the right thing.

I wonder what this giant panel will be next...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...