........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Feeling Bookish

We have a pretty good thrift store within biking distance of our new home. I have been going there a lot because there's nothing I like more than discovering a little treasure. Thrifting for books is tricky. There's usually a lot of dime store paper backs. A lot of Jon Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark. I look every time I go, but almost never are there books of my liking. But lately, at this thrift store, I feel like I have a little friend who is a well-read-generous-donor. I love people who give great books away. I am not one of those kind of people. Maybe someday I will be.

I thought I'd share my little stack with you. Because it's a small step to becoming a well-read-generous-donor. A small step I can take right now.

Mister Pip. Oh my! I will admit that I bought this book mostly because I loved the cover. That bright red sticker on top of those green palms?! Yes! I'll take it. This book was so interesting. As any well read person would know, Pip is a character in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I should admit right now that I'd never read that book before. So I'm not one of the "well read" I guess. But it is about the influence of this famous book upon a small island of war-torn kids. I would recommend this book. And not just because of the colors of the cover.

And this little gem. I have loved every book I've read by Joanne Harris. And her winning streak continues with this novel. This book was hard to put down! It was a sort of mystery. Which I didn't know going in, and have since decided that I like mystery novels. And don't be thrown off by the title Gentlemen and Players, it's not about pimps, but about a very prestigious private school for boys.

And the best for last. Caramelo. I love you. I just finished this book today and have been savoring it all week. It's one of those books that you can't stop reading but want to pace yourself because you don't want it to be over too fast.

So add these to your summer reading list. Any other reading list suggestions? I will make a sticker chart. Perhaps.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...