........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A snacky tutorial

I love requests! And since Sarah asked so nicely, I decided to put together a little tutorial for the snack bag. This is my first ever sewing tutorial, so please don't judge. Also, I'm not up on my sewing lingo, 6th grade home ec. was a while ago...

You can really do whatever size you want, but I found a 7" zipper for 10 cents at my local thrift store, so I tried to work around that size. I cut the fabric out to be approximately 8" x 16", and used 1/4" seam allowances, so it worked out about perfect. Also, the first bag I made I didn't do a lining, and then regretted it later when little strings were hanging off my snacks. So you can do whatever you want, plain fabric, lining, no lining, a quilty pattern...your snack, your call.

So you start by placing right sides together and sewing around the perimeter of the fabric. Be sure to leave yourself an emergency exit.

Once this is completed, turn the fabric right side out through your emergency exit and press.

Now comes the scary part. Zipper time! Sew the zipper on one end of the fabric.

Then you turn it around and sew it to the other end. This is where it gets pretty awkward. But just adjust the zipper head and move the presser foot up as you sew over it, and you'll probably be okay. I'm a zipper dummy, so maybe it's not so awkward if you know what you're doing.

Alright. Good job everyone. Now turn the bag with right sides together once again. Be sure to leave the zipper half-way open so you can use it as your emergency exit.

Now sew up the edges.

And turn the bag right side out!

Yay!

And here are the twins. I think this little pink number is going to be for my sister Brooke. Because she asked politely. And I like her.

The end

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...