........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Please put on your Birkenstocks and Tie-dye shirt before reading this post


Because I'm about to tell you about some hippie cookies. And you're gonna want to make them. I promise.

I don't think it's any secret that I have a couple of sweet teeth hanging out in my mouth. And that I like to bake. And that I usually bake sweet things. So when I can combine a little health with my sweets, I am one happy girl.

I found the recipe for these little gems in Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (which is just lovely, by the way). And I haven't been able to stop making them. For reals.

I've made a couple of alterations over the past year, and this time I added some hulled hemp seeds. Because they are tasty. And so very good for you. It turned out to be a good decision. Just sayin'.

And while these cookies certainly won't win any beauty contests, they are sooooo good. And very humble.

Zucchini Cookies
from Barbara Kingsolver

1 egg
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. honey
1 T. vanilla
1 c. white flour
1 c. wheat flour (Holly note: I usually use 2 cups wheat flour and omit the white flour. It's just as delicious.)
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
(Holly addition: 4 T. hulled hemp seeds)
1 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. dark chocolate chips

Combine the wet ingredients, excluding zucchini, and mix well. Add dry ingredients. Mix in zucchini and then the chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Yum.

And now we're off to the mountains again. Again! These cookies will be coming along too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...