........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Where's the Cream Filling??


In lieu of a fancy Birthday Cake (I was lacking one of those bullet-proof-cake-dome-transporter-things), I opted for something a little different for my mom's late Birthday celebration.

Birthday Twinkies!  

I wrote about my first Twinkie experience here.  And since then, we have eaten a lot of sub-par Twinkies.  You see, I was having such a hard time getting the right recipe for the cream filling.  For the record, any recipe that has marshmallow puff and crisco??  Bad bad news.

But never fear! I have found the perfect filling/frosting to compliment these golden little cakes.

I found the frosting recipe here, but have decided to write it out again for my own archival purposes.  And don't be alarmed by the unusual list of ingredients.  You have to trust me, this frosting is amazing.  Even Evan, who thinks that the worst thing you could do to a cake is to add frosting, likes it.  So, yeah.  It's delicious. Would I lie to you?  About frosting?

That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had
     from MissyDew

5 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar (not powdered!)
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens.  You want it to be pretty thick--brownie batter consistency.  Once thickened, remove from heat and let it cool completely.

While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  You don't want any sugar graininess left.  Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it.  If it looks separated, you haven't beaten it enough.  Beat!  Beat!  Beat!

Grab a spoon and eat out of the bowl.  Grab a knife and frost the cake or fill the Twinkies.
Yum. Yum. Yum.

This is also the frosting I used to fill the giant Ding Dong cake I made for Evan's Birthday.  And for those of you who asked, I've edited that post with cake instructions.

 Who knew I had such an affinity for Hostess?  *burp*


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...