........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Friday, September 16, 2011

my little secret

A year ago last Spring, I put away my paints and brushes after a few very terrible paintings.  I wasn't sure if I'd ever feel like painting again.  In hindsight, I can now see that I had been putting too much pressure on myself and it was messing with my head.  And so I did other things and other projects, anything to keep myself away form those evil paints!  

Shortly after I finished the flower wall, I decided it was time to give painting another chance.


And so I carried Big Brooke up from the basement and began to paint.
Let me say this: painting is not at all like riding a bike!  I was so rusty!


I told a very small, select group of people about my little secret, my painting-again-secret.  Because I didn't want any of that pressure to create a masterpiece creeping into my brain again.   


And I think my secret idea worked!  Yes, it was both hard and frustrating to be painting again, but more than all of that, it was fun.  And dare I say it, fulfilling.  I had missed painting!  Which were the most surprising emotions of all.

And the next time I decide to pick up painting after a years absence, I must remember to start on something smaller--my poor (weak) wrists almost fell off!

p.s. listening to this helped me not be so scared.  It is incredibly insightful.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...