........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Monday, August 20, 2012

blackberry harvest

If I had to play favorites, blackberries are my least favorite berry.  I dunno.  They seem extra seed-y to me and if you have an overactive imagination, they look just like a pile of picnic ants (ew!).

Our street is just BURSTING with blackberries right now and so I decided it was time to get over my prejudices.  We spent last Sunday evening walking up and down the road harvesting blackberries.  And then I made a scrumptious blackberry cobbler.

 

 
 
Which turned out to taste just like August.  Oh yum.

And we haven't even made a dent in our berry stash, so I've been on the hunt for more recipes... any suggestions?

Blackberry Cobbler
from the Pioneer Woman

1 stick butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. self-rising four (I just used regular flour and it was still delicious!)
1 c. milk
2 c. blackberries (frozen or fresh)

Melt butter in the microwave.  Pour 1 cup of sugar and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk.  Mix well.  Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all together.  Butter a baking dish.

Now rinse and pat dry the blackberries.  Pour the batter into a buttered baking dish.  Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter, distributing evenly.  Sprinkle 1/4 c. sugar over the top.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. 

Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.  

(We just ended up eating it straight out of the pan with big spoons)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...