........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

practically sewing


I have been doing lots of practical sewing lately.  I love making functional things--it makes me feel really thrifty (even if it would cost less to just buy it!) and old fashioned.  I didn't anticipate how much I'd love sewing for my little baby.  I am pretty sentimental/emotional anyway, but pregnant me is kind of over-the-top sappy.  While I'm sewing I like to think about this little soul I will be meeting soon and my mind wanders all over the place, from wondering if he'll have hair, to if he'll love the mountains, to if he'll be a smarty-pants like his papa.  It's been very therapeutic, especially when I'm not feeling that great, to quietly sew and think about these things.



First I made a small tower of chenille burp cloths using Dana's tutorial (very soft!).  


And this is baby's lumberjack blanket.  I love flannel--so soft and homey!  And the fuzzy side feels just like Gesso's ears.


I have been quietly collecting baby flannel for a few years, knowing that it would eventually get made into a pile of receiving blankets--and it finally did!  I had already planned on keeping things gender neutral (no sense in having to start from scratch after each baby!), so I stuck to my favorites--lots of blue and green.

I thought these quick change diaper kits were such a swell idea that I whipped up a few (tutorial).  They contain a homemade changing pad, some wipes, a onesie, and some *tiny* diapers.  I plan on throwing one in my purse, one in the car, and maybe even one in the ski bag (wishful thinking??).



And I know that baby boy isn't really going to care what his toys look like, but I will.  And using the pattern in Handmade Beginnings, I made my own Henny Penny.  She was a labor of love (those baby birds were such a pain!), but I think she was worth it.


If you lift up her wing her babies are stuck with their velcro wings.  Can you even stand how cute that is??
 
 And some more weird little toys.  This sun ray toy (stuffed with that crinkly envelope-window stuff) made from this tutorial, and some ribbon-triangle-bells things (I lost the link to the tutorial--oops!).

 I also made a little bear out of some wool scraps (using this tutorial), and I even made him some corduroy pants with suspenders and a bow tie......and he turned out kind of creepy.  I still can't decide if it's good creepy or just creepy creepy.  So I didn't take his picture.

Whew.  Who's ready for a nap?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...